I’ve been posting Selo Oils-inspired snacks on both my Twitter timeline and here on the blog for the last few months.
Going forward, they’ll be available both here and on our mailing list. Make sure to sign up so you don’t miss out. I’ll send you a free snack idea recipe to go with your olive oil every Friday morning.
This week’s snack I dub, “Mediterranean Eggs Benedict.” Shout to my fiance Penelope for the whole idea.
We will use French bread, salt and herbs from Provence, cheese from Spain, coarsely ground black pepper, and to top it all off, the finest extra virgin olive oil from Croatia.
Selo, of course
These snacks take less than 10 minutes and you can use as little or as many of the following ingredients you like.
This morning I personally sliced two pieces of fresh bread. You may toast them. I did not.
- 4 organic free range eggs. Sourced locally.
- Two slices of Whole Wheat French Bread (from your local delicatessen)
- Monte Enebro pasteurized goat milk cheese from Castilla-Leon, Spain
- Diamond Crystal pure and natural Kosher salt
- Fleur de Sel with herbes from Provence (a salt and herb mixture which contains sea salt, basil, fennel, lavender, savoury and thyme).
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Set your element to just below high and bring 6 cups of water to a simmer in a pot.
- Crack your eggs and strain them over the sink, removing excess water from the yolk (to ensure perfect poaching).
- Place your eggs one at a time into the pot.
- As they poach, create a vortex with a wooden spoon and stir slowly in one circular direction (vinegar is not necessary!)
- When the eggs are done poaching, place two on a slice of bread from your Whole Wheat French loaf.
- Cut a few slices of goat cheese and place on top of your eggs.
- Salt and pepper, and season
- To finish it off, pour 1 tablespoon of Selo Oils extra virgin olive oil onto each serving.